Attention CPPAs - Please check here for latest guidance and updates.
***Alternate SOP Library***
This site is an alternative location for the Navy Pay, Personnel, and Travel Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The SOP library on SharePoint Online will remain the primary location for all the PAYPERS SOPs; however, this site will allow personnel without SharePoint accounts, non-DoN and OCONUS commands to access the SOPs as a downloadable PDF file. Click here
***Commanding Officer's Guide***
The Commanding Officer's Guide to Navy Pay and Personnel Administration is a guide to ensure personnel and pay readiness for Sailors and their families at the command level. This guide includes references, hyperlinks, and tools to assist command teams and CPPAs with monitoring, identifying, and correcting problems in order to ensure Sailors are receiving timely and accurate pay and entitlements. CO's Guide
***CPPA PERSPAY eCRM Command Dashboard***
A new "CPPA Command" Dashboard is available in PERSPAY eCRM as of 1 Nov 22. CPPAs are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the new dashboard functionality and aid command leadership with viewing the dashboard or providing additional case reports, as needed. System access requirements are identified here. The instruction guide provided here identifies essential information to help CPPAs understand access to the elements of the dashboard.
CPPA Command Dashboard Overview
Paying Sailors accurately and on time remains a mission imperative, and CPPAs play a key role in assuring Sailor pay transactions are submitted on time, the first time. Given the major impact of accurate and timely case submission on Sailor pay, on 1 November 2022, Chief of Naval Personnel, Vice Admiral Cheeseman, authorized the release of the CPPA Command Dashboard.
CPPAs and PERSPAY users can now see when cases are not submitted to Transaction Service Centers (TSCs) in a timely fashion. Users, to include TYCOM and TRIAD leadership, can view enhanced performance metrics. The dashboard identifies cases submitted less than 14 days before the "effective date," a field now required. Users can see cases returned or late, grouped by problem code, by command, and by individual CPPA. Users will also have the ability to see the age of the oldest case in each case status, a breakdown of open cases by age and month submitted. Lastly, users can view a roll up of all open cases from oldest to newest. Command leadership and CPPAs can apply a filter to view metrics by TYCOM down to Echelon 7.
With this functionality, CPPAs will be better equipped to resolve pay transaction issues more quickly and efficiently. Command leaders can identify exceptional CPPAs and determine training opportunities for personnel based on individual or aggregate needs. Cases that have remained open for an extended period of time can be identified so they can be resolved. Over time, this dashboard will also help increase CPPA and command transparency and visibility, and ultimately improve customer service for Sailors and their families. Later iterations of this tool will expand to other systems and improve the user experience for TYCOMs, Commands, and CPPAs.
Know Before You Start
- Familiarize yourself with the dashboard: Current CPPA users have access to public dashboards and should familiarize themselves with the new functionality of the CPPA Command Dashboard before providing assistance or reporting to their Command Leadership.
- NEW! Enter you CPPA UIC into "Case Information": As of 30 SEP 2022 any new case requires CPPAs to enter their UIC into the case layout section of a new case. note that the UIC field is a mandatory field moving forward.
- Be proactive - support command leaders: CPPAs are expected to assist their Command Triads with viewing the CPPA Command Dashboard while they obtain access to the system. CPPAs may be asked to provide command reports containing further case detail. Command leadership (TYCOM and Triad reps) accounts will have "view-only" access to the dashboard and will not be able to view the underlying reports or individual case details. CPPAs are encouraged to provide dashboard reports proactively to their Command Triad and ensure command leaders are aware of the new dashboard and capabilities.
For detailed guidance on how to access and navigate the dashboard, please see the Instruction Guide accessible here.
The HRSC Pro-to-Pro Cell can assist CPPAs with navigation and functionality questions. Contact 1-833-330-6622 (select option 2).
***MyPCS Travel Voucher Update***
There is a new Job Aid for Sailors and your reference for the completion of MyPCS Travel Vouchers. Please review these new recommended "tips for success" and ensure that your Sailors are completing their travel vouchers correctly. Click here Job Aid to access the Job Aid.
*** RSC Information and Training ***
*** PERSPAY eCRM Case Routing Guidance ***
Guidance / Queues
Training / Additional Information
|Electronic Service Record
Retentions (Reenlistments and Extensions)
Separations and Retirements
|26 Aug 22
26 Aug 22
26 Aug 22
26 Aug 22
|Travel Claims and Travel Advances
|TPC Memphis Routing Guidance Training 08 Dec 22
Transactions continue to be routed to regional TSC.
|Read NPPSC Ops Alert 004-22 for additional information on MyNavy HR’s PAYPERS transformation.
As routing instructions are available or updated, they will be posted here.
MNCC has updated the CPPA Receipts eLearning course to include the expanded process in NSIPS to include all four panels. The catalog code is PERS2-PAYPERS-CPPA-RECEIPTS-V2.0. If you have previously completed the V1.0 course, please enroll and complete V2.0
at your earliest convenience. Additionally, you will be given an opportunity to provide feedback to us about the viability of the content after the assessment is completed.
The CPPA serves as the critical link between an individual Sailor, his or her command, and the supporting personnel support organization. CPPAs provide input to their Commanding Officer/Officer in Charge on issues related to Navy pay and personnel within the command; facilitate Navy pay and personnel transactions for command personnel on the behalf of the pay and personnel supporting organization; facilitate command level support to Billet Based Distribution (BBD) processes within the command; and provide guidance to command personnel on changes to Navy pay and personnel policies and procedures. CPPAs also perform Navy pay, personnel, and travel transactions at the appropriate level for both shore and afloat commands in accordance with policies, procedures, and system capabilities.
Prospective students of the CPPA C-School please take the time to read the letter from the Center for Service Support detailing the security requirements to attend the course. Please ensure you adhere to the requirements contained in the CANTRAC along with this
letter to ensure you are able to secure a quota and attend the course. Click here to access letter
Scroll down for links to systems in the CPPA “Toolbox” and important PASS references.
CPPA Duties and Responsibilities
Obtain and maintain access to systems/software necessary to complete CPPA duties (i.e., OMPF, ESR, TOPS, etc.). The CPPA Toolbox information sheet -- updated 3 AUG 2018 and located in the box on the right -- provides steps required to request and obtain systems access.
Carefully review personnel documents and information routed between the PSD or FSC and supported Sailors to ensure all forms are properly completed, all required documentation and attachments are provided, and all information appears to be sufficient to resolve the transaction in a timely manner.
Attend all scheduled CPPA Training provided by the PSD/CSD or NOSC. If unable to attend, arrange to receive information provided via alternate means.
In every action, always protect the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) of command personnel. If at any time PII is compromised, report the spillage as soon as it is discovered.
Use the left navigation bar to locate information and resources supporting specific CPPA tasks.
Use Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to perform Pay, Personnel, and Travel tasks.
NSIPS CLAM Access Training
1. Under Command Setup Training
a. Click on COMMAND RETIREMENT & SEPARATIONS MODERNIZATION OVERVIEW TRAINING - to understand the role of command CLAM in R&S.
2. Under Command Profile Management
a. Click on COMMAND PROFILE MANAGEMENT NON HR - to set-up command hierarchy
IMPORTANT Policy Documents
Removal of RED/DA (Page 2) as KSD for Travel Claim Processing (Ops Alert Ser 003-19) . Effective 01 May 2019, the RED/DA (Page 2) is no longer required as a key supporting document (KSD) to process travel claims. All Travel Claims signed May 1st, 2019 and after.
NAVADMIN 231/17 updates Career Management System-Interactive Detailing (CMS-ID) processes and Career Waypoints-Reenlistment timelines.
PPIB 17/10 clarifies the extension process and specifies pay and personnel systems that require the CPPA A16A NEC for access.
PPIB 17/06 indicates that the Navy eLearning course, PERS2-PAYPERS-CPPA-CPPATRAINING-V1.0, is updated to align CPPA training with NEC A16A requirements.
All of the NPPSC email OPS ALERTS are archived here.
- Complete required training in accordance with PPIB 17/06.
Note: Earlier this year the CPPA Overview Course was pulled down due to Adobe Flash issues and we took that opportunity to take a hard look at the content. Although we are working as quickly as we can to update content on the CPPA Overview Course to align with the actual CPPA C-School, we need to move forward with an interim solution for the OJT/non C-School option for awarding the NEC. In accordance with MILPERSMAN 1000-021; CPPAs must be designated in writing, complete the CPPA C-School or CPPA Overview course, complete 2 TWMS eLearning courses on PII and Records Management, and submit a NAVPERS 1221/6 to PERS-4013. The current change is for CPPAs who cannot attend the CPPA C-School and require the NEC, completion of the required PII and Records Management courses in addition to the following 25 Navy eLearning courses in lieu of the CPPA Overview Course. See CPPA Handbook or PPIB 21-17.
Additional online tools
Although the CPPA is not expected to be an expert in all areas of pay and personnel administration, familiarity with directives and manuals will increase CPPA awareness and effectiveness.
Supporting information on the NPC website:
GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CHARGE CARD USE DURING PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION
TRAVEL FULL ROLLOUT
NAVADMIN 129/22 - Mandatory use of the Navy Personnel and Pay (NP2) MYPCS Travel Voucher Submission Tool and Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC) during Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Travel
NAVADMIN 188/18 - This NAVADMIN announces the launch of a formal 2 week course to train Command Pay and Personnel Administrators (CPPA) as part of the Sailor 2025 focus to improve the quality and timeliness of pay and personnel services across the Navy.
22-25 NOV 2019 - NSIPS 22.214.171.124 update was released expanded CPPA Panel 1 capability to include all Accounting Category Codes (ACCs):
Previously CPPAs were unable to process the Activity Report (Panel 1) for ACCs other than ACC 100, but now CPPAs can process Panel 1 for all ACCs.
CPPAs shall verify the correct ACC according to member’s orders ensuring the correct ACC is utilized.
PSDs shall ensure that the CPPA is utilizing the Activity Report function in NSIPS to process the Activity Report (Panel 1).
29-30 Jul 2017 - NSIPS 126.96.36.199 release changes CPPA Activity Report role:
- No longer be allowed to submit an Activity Report if the detaching command did not complete an Activity Loss. If an attempt is made to submit the Activity Report without the corresponding Activity Loss, the following error will be received, "THIS ACTIVITY REPORT MUST BE PERFORMED BY THE PSD DUE TO NO EXISTING DETACHING (SH) DATA."
- Accounting Disbursing Station Number (ADSN) Indicator on Activity Report has been relocated from Panel 1 to Panel 2.
- Activity Reports will have to be routed to a specific OPERID at the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD – Supporting ADSN) instead of being routed into the NSIPS TASKS and NOTIFICATIONS box, which goes to all Personnel Clerk(s)/Supervisor(s).
28 JAN 2017 – NSIPS 188.8.131.52 release expands CPPA capability:
- Create Extensions
- Create re-enlistment contracts
- Create retirement requests
- Make an extension operative (effective)
- Cancel an extension
- Create certain entitlements
- Create a Record of Unauthorized absence
- Create a Court Memorandum
- Create an Enlisted or Officer strength loss
- Start/Stop/Report Combat Zone Tax Exclusion (CZTE)
- Create Honors and Awards, Personnel Qualification Standards (PQS), and Administrative Remarks (temporary or permanent). Note: These three components are electronically routed to all Personnel Supervisors within a servicing PSD for verification.
- Update and save member Address and Phone and Member Screening data to record whether a member’s Family Care Plan information is on file. These two components may be updated without PSD/CSD verification.
- Print the following NSIPS Standard Reports for your Unit Identification Code (UIC):
- Enlisted Distribution and Verification Report
- Projected Loss Report
- Prospective Gain Report
- Advancement Eligibility Report
- Alpha Locator
- Awards Eligibility Report
- Unit Commanders Financial Report
- Family Care Plan Report
Find a consolidated list of NSIPS news products HERE.