***Last Updated 08 May 2023***
BU Community Overview
BU Career Path
Updated 14 February 2023
Builders make up the largest segment of the Naval Construction Force. They work as carpenters, plasterers, roofers, concrete finishers, masons, painters, bricklayers, and cabinet makers. This is a 5 year enlistment program.
What They Do
The duties performed by BUs include:
- building and repairing wood, masonry concrete, and steel structures;
- installing interior finish work, including installing sheet rock, paneling or ceramic tile walls and installing ceiling and floor tile, millwork and trim;
- operating carpentry, cabinet-making, and tool and equipment repair shops;
building forms for concrete construction;
- mixing, placing and finishing concrete;
operating concrete batch plants, portable concrete mixers and other concrete finishing equipment and tools;
- building wharves, bridges and other heavy timber structures;
- reading and interpreting blueprints and preparing sketches for projects;
- making estimates of material, labor, and equipment requirements.
BU's may work in a variety of conditions, independently or as members of a large team. Their many different duties may be performed in climates ranging from desert to arctic.
ASVAB: AR + MC + AS = 145
-Temporary ASVAB: AR+MC+AS = 136 (Expires 30 Sep 2024)
VE + AR + MK + AO = 209
-Temporary ASVAB: VE+AR+MK+AO = 197 (Expires 30 Sep 2024)
36 month obligated service required for all convert in and PACT Sailors.
Must provide a Copy of last three Evals and PRIMS/PFA Data.