Embroidered Slip-on Rank Insignia
a. E4 through O10 personnel will wear the black cold weather parka (CWP) slip-on rank insignia on all uniforms with rank tabs. The only exception to this policy is when personnel are actively performing tactical operations requiring the wear of fully camouflaged components. In such cases, the rank insignia worn will match the color and pattern of the uniform it is attached.
b. Proper wear of slip-on rank insignia requires the rank tab to be inserted in and through the opening of the rank insignia with the embroidered thread facing outward and upright. Center the insignia over the rank tab and secure the bottom of the rank tab on the Velcro patch attached to the component being worn. Enlisted rating specialty insignias and staff corps devices (except Chaplains) are not authorized to be worn on the NWU.
(1) Rear admirals will wear the regular size embroidered grade insignia. Vice admirals and admirals will wear a slightly smaller size insignia to properly fit on the collar and the chest tab.
(2) Line officers (O1-O6) will wear the regular size embroidered grade insignia.
(3) Staff corps officers and warrant officers will wear only the grade insignia on the rank tab with the exception of Chaplains. Chaplains are authorized to wear the Chaplain Staff Corps Insignia above their grade insignia.
(4) Chief Petty Officers will wear the standard size insignia.
(5) Petty officers will wear the standard size insignia.