“EXCELLENCE IN CORRECTIONS”
Officer in Charge – LCDR Waylon P. Sommer
Technical Director - Mr. James Adams
Senior Enlisted Leader – OSCS Lucas Leadem
To ensure administration, security, good order, discipline, and safety of pre- and post-trial prisoners from all military services; to retrain and restore maximum number of personnel to honorable service; to prepare remaining prisoners for return to civilian life as productive citizens.
1. Serves as a Level I confinement facility for DoD male and female prisoners providing a secure, safe and humane environment for prisoners and staff per U.S. Code.
2. Maintains the highest levels of military disciple within brig operations.
3. Classifies prisoners for restoration to military duty or for discharge from military duty and return to civilian life.
4. Identifies and certifies prisoners who have earned restoration to military duty or an early return to civilian life.
5. Provides resources and an environment which allows prisoners to:
a. Server sentences imposed by the court
b. Fulfill individual responsibilities
c. Complete plans for restoration to duty or return to civilian life
6. Operates re-training programs which include: work; academic; vocational; military; physical training; motivational and social skills; individual and group counseling; substance abuse (drug/alcohol), sexual offender education; violent offender treatment; and religion.
7. Provides required reports and assistance to the Chief of Naval Personnel in gathering and evaluating data concerning administration, programs and management of consolidated brig and other Naval correctional facilities in the region it serves.
8. Provides military escort services for adjudged prisoners transferring to consolidated brig.
Appellate Defense Contact Number
Please call the Brig Legal Officer at 757-421-8840 (DSN: 521-8840) to schedule an appointment to speak with your client.
Personal communications between media representatives and prisoners is not authorized unless a determination is made that such an interview serves a legitimate public interest. For more information, contact Navy Personnel Command Public Affairs at 901-874-2266.