COMMAND BASIC ESCORT TRAINING CLASS REQUIREMENTS
Point of Contact
Training Staff, NAVCONBRIG Miramar, San Diego CA 92145
TEL: 858-307-7171 or DSN: 307-7171
Once a member is placed in confinement, commands must have qualified escorts to move both pre-trial and post-trial prisoners to and from the Brig.
To be qualified, personnel must meet screening criteria, attend a one-day Brig Basic Escort Class and pass a written proficiency test. Successful completion will result in the issuance of an Basic Escort Identification Card. The certification is good for one year.
Everyone that escorts a prisoner is required to attend chaser training if they do not have a Corrections Navy Enlisted Classification.
Brig Basic Escort Classes are scheduled on the third Tuesday of each month. Reservations are not required nor taken; personnel are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis until the class is full (up to 60 attendees max). The class begins promptly at 0730 and early arrival (NLT 0700) is highly encouraged to obtain an available seat. Class duration is 0730-1600. Attendees who show up after the class has begun will be turned away. The schedule for 2023 class dates are provided at the bottom of this page.
Army/Marine Corps Military Police, Air Force Security Police, Navy Master-At-Arms and formal NEC/MOS school-trained corrections personnel may be exempt from attending the class, but must meet the screening criteria.
Escorts will be carefully selected for maturity and the ability to handle emergencies.
Requesting activities shall provide their own escorts for trial, administrative, legal, and any other appointments for pre-trial prisoners.
Commands with frequent prisoner movements shall provide a pool of escorts and each trip shall include at least one escort who has traversed the same route in similar transportation.
In all cases, at least one escort will be of the same gender as the prisoner.
When transporting a pre-trial officer prisoner, at least one escort will be an officer of equal or higher rank than the officer prisoner.
Escorts will not be authorized to carry nightsticks or other weapons.
Maximum (MAX) and Medium In Custody (MDI) prisoners must be escorted by at least two escorts. MAX and MDI prisoners must wear designated restraints at all times while outside the security perimeter of the Brig.
A military judge (not a lawyer) may direct that restraints be removed from a prisoner in a courtroom if, in the judge’s opinion, such restraint is not necessary.
- Must be E-4 or above with at least 24 months of active service (after completion of recruit training), regardless of service branch.
- Must be mature, emotionally stable, and able to handle emergencies.
- Have no neuropsychiatric disorders, or recorded history of alcohol abuse, or in-service drug use.
- Have no record of conviction by courts-martial or non-judicial punishment in the past 36 months.
- Have no record of civil court conviction, (except misdemeanor traffic violations).
- Have no physical disabilities or disfigurements.
- Be within service branch body composition standards, and passed most recent service PRT/PFT.
- No prior removal/revocation of escort status.
- Not identified as a witness or victim in a prisoner’s courts-martial related to the escort detail.
- Not have failed during last two prior attempts to pass the escort written proficiency test.
- Screened for eligibility by a command representative of grade E-7 or above.
21 Feb 2023
21 Mar 2023
18 Apr 2023
16 May 2023
20 Jun 2023
18 Jul 2023
15 Aug 2023
19 Sep 2023
17 Oct 2023
21 Nov 2023