An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

ID Card Eligibility FAQ


1. What documents are required to add a child born out of wedlock to DEERS, if no marriage has occurred?

A male sponsor must present the birth certificate, social security card and one of the following; court order establishing paternity or a State Acknowledgement of Paternity, registered in the state of the child’s birth.
A female sponsor must provide the birth certificate and social security card.

2. What documents are required for the initial issuance of a CAC for DOD civilians or contractors?

Two forms of valid identification (Note: The record must be reflected in DEERS).

3. Is a widow/widower or a qualified former spouse eligible for benefits if he/she remarries?

No. If that subsequent marriage ends due to death or divorce he/she may regain Commissary and Exchange privileges, no medical benefits are authorized. If subsequent marriage is annulled, all benefits are restored. Restoration of benefits must be approved by MNCC.

4. What is the process for applying for benefits and privileges under the Unmarried Former Spouse Act?

When a divorce occurs, the sponsor must provide a decree to terminate entitlements. To be considered for a continuation of benefits as a former spouse, the following documents must be submitted to MNCC DEERS/RAPIDS. (PLEASE INCLUDE SPONSOR’S SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER)

  • Marriage Certificate (original or state certified)
  • Final Divorce Decree (original or state certified)
  • A notarized statement signed by applicant stating whether or not if he/she has remarried and whether or not he/she is covered by employee sponsored healthcare.
  • Birth certificate, Social Security Card and copy of driver’s license   
  • Family Member card (if not already surrendered)
  • Current mailing address and contact phone number       

*Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing

5. What documents are required to remove child over 18 years of age?

By law, a military member must provide medical care until a child reaches the age of 21 unless that child marries or joins the military.  If the child has reached the age of 21, is enrolled full-time in an accredited institution of higher learning for associate degree or higher, and the member is providing over 50 percent of support, the child may be eligible for benefits until the age of 23.  

6.  What documents are required for my child enrolled in college?

A letter from the institution of higher learning is required and they must be going for an associates degree or higher. The letter must state the child is currently enrolled full-time and include the expected graduation date. Also, the sponsor must be present or the child must have a signed and notarized DD Form 1172-2, including the following statements; Sponsor provides over 50 percent of support and child is currently enrolled as fulltime student at accredited institution.

7. Is my child eligible for an ID card if he/she turns 21 during the summer?

Yes. The sponsor or child (with valid DD Form 1172-2) must present letter showing fulltime enrollment for previous spring semester and pre-register or pre-enrollment for following fall semester. A temporary card will be issued awaiting current fulltime enrollment letter from registrar’s office.  FULLTIME ENROLLMENT DURING SUMMER DOES NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS.

8. How do I continue benefits for incapacitated child after the age of 21?

A child may be eligible for benefits if the incapacitation occurred prior to the age of 21 and the sponsor provides over 50% percent of support. Please submit the following documents to the MNCC:

1. A current medical or psychiatric evaluation conducted within the last four months by a physician.
2. Complete summary of medical records for review at the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED).
3. History of employment and earning statements if the child is or has been  employed
4. Certified copy of the Notice of Disapproved Claim from the Social Security Administration or statement of coverage by Medicare part A and/or B.
5. Dependency Statement- Incapacitated Child Over 21 (DD Form 137-5).  Form must be notarized.
*If applicable, please include current Individualized Education Program (IEP)s, college transcripts and full-scale IQ testing results. All cases are adjudicated by BUMED. Please allow 4-6 weeks.

9. What documents are required for renewing ID card?

Two forms of valid identification (one must include photo). If sponsor is not present, the family member must provide an Application for an Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form 1172-2) signed by sponsor and notarized or a valid Power of Attorney. (Note: some categories may require additional information before a card can be issue.)

10. What documents are required to add family member to Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)?

Spouse - Original state certified marriage certificate, birth certificate, and social security card.

Child - Birth certificate and social security card. In addition; if male sponsor is not married to child's mother he must provide court ordered proof of paternity or copy of state file acknowledgment of paternity form and final adoption documents are required for adopted children.

Parents, Parents-in Law and Wards of the court must have approval letter from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), birth certificate and social security card.

11.  Are Joint Service marriage members required to enroll each other in DEERS?

Yes.  Both members must have each other listed in DEERS with terminated entitlements. Children should also be listed under both DEERS accounts with eligibility reflecting under one sponsor. Dual status members will determine under which record the children will receive an ID card.

12. How long do I have to update DEERS when changes occur?

Sponsors are responsible for updating DEERS when there are any changes to dependency status of a family member within 30 days of occurrence. Failure to do so may result in the recoupment of medical expenses paid by the Tricare Management Activity.

13. Where can I obtain a new military ID card?

Please visit the follow website for a site nearest to your location:

14. Can I obtain an ID card application without visiting a facility?

You can download applications by visiting the RAPIDS Self Service website. The application is stored in DEERS for 90 days. 

15. What document is required to replace Lost/Stolen Common Access Card (CAC)?

Two forms of identification and documentation from the local security office or CAC sponsor/ command confirming the CAC has been reported lost or stolen. 

16. Can I add my same-sex spouse if I reside in a state that doesn’t recognize same-sex marriage?

Yes, spouses can be enrolled at your nearest ID card facility when a valid marriage certificate is presented.

17. Can I update my address in DEERS online?

You can update your address by visiting the following website:

18. Is a child not residing with the sponsor entitled to Commissary and Exchange Privileges?

Yes, if the sponsor is providing over 50% of support.

19. My family member is eligible to shop on base but requires assistance. Am I authorized a military ID without affiliation?

A military ID is not authorized without affiliation however you may be issued an agent letter at the Commanding Officers discretion. Please submit your request to the facility you plan on utilizing. 

20. I’m retired, how do I change my date of birth or name?

Please submit your birth certificate and written request to include your social security number to:

MNCC - 424
ATTN: Navy Project Office
Bldg. 785 Room 162
5720 Integrity Drive 
Millington, TN 38055

MNCC will submit the documentation to DFAS for correction of the retired pay record which will update DEERS.

  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | DoD SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
Privacy Program | Veteran Crisis Line | VA Vet Center | FVAP