4104. COLLAR GRADE INSIGNIA
1. General. Wear miniature sized metal Grade Insignia on the collar points of khaki and blue shirts. Wear miniature sized embroidered grade insignia tapes on Navy coveralls. (NOTE: Embroidered collar devices may be slightly larger than metal collar devices.)
2. Description. Collar grade insignia replicates metal shoulder insignia except flag officers' miniature multiple stars which are connected as follows:
3. Manner of Wearing. Line officers wear the grade insignia on both collar points. Captains wear with the top of the eagle's head toward the collar, and head and olive branch pointing to the front (both staff corps and line officers). Staff Corps officers and Chief Warrant officers wear grade insignia on the right collar point and staff insignia on the left collar point.
a. Long Sleeve Shirt. On long sleeve shirts that require a collar Insignia, center the insignia 1 inch from the front and upper edges of the collar, except for flag officers. Admirals, Vice Admirals, and Rear Admirals, center the first star 1 inch from the front and upper edge of the collar, and position the vertical axis of the Insignia at right angles (the horizontal axis parallel) to the upper edge of the collar. This procedure applies whether the collar is worn open or closed.
b. Open Collar Short Sleeve Shirts and Navy Coveralls. Center the insignia 1 inch from the front and lower edges of the collar and position the vertical axis of the Insignia along an imaginary line bisecting the angle of the collar point.
c. Flag Officers. Wear collar insignia on open collar short sleeve shirts and Navy coveralls in the manner shown below:
4. LINE AND STAFF CORPS COLLAR INSIGNIA. Consists of insignia indicating staff corps or Line. Staff corps officers and warrant officers wear them on the left collar point of shirts in the manner described for collar grade insignia. The vertical axis of the insignia is aligned with the bisecting line of the collar point on open collar shirts. They have the same design as those worn on the sleeves of blue coats but the dimensions conform to the specifications and standards sample. These devices are primarily in gold color metal with silver symbol as applicable. Leaves are veined, but otherwise smooth, and do not simulate embroidery.
5. REGULAR AND MINIATURE SIZES OF GRADE INSIGNIA. Regular and miniature sizes of grade insignia have dimensions shown below: