An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.




Members may be reimbursed up to $1,000 for qualifying relicensing costs or business costs of their spouse for orders issued on or after 20 Dec 2019, when all of the following qualifying conditions are met:

     1.  The member is reassigned, either as a PCS or permanent change of assignment from a permanent duty station (PDS) in one licensing jurisdiction to a PDS in another.
     2.  The PCS movement of the dependents is authorized.
     3.  The spouse was employed in a profession requiring certification at a PDS in a previous licensing jurisdiction during the marriage to the Service member while on member was active duty.  Back-to-back employment is not required.  For qualified business cost reimbursement, the spouse must have operated a business in the previous duty station in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
     4.  The spouse is required to obtain re-certification for the same profession at the PDS in the new jurisdiction.
     5.  The completion of the relicense or certification was successful.
     6.  Reimbursement payments for licensure or certification are subject to the current Federal and State (as applicable) income tax withholding rates.
     7. The term ‘qualified business costs’ means costs, including moving services for equipment, equipment removal, new equipment purchases, information technology expenses, and inspection fees, incurred by the spouse of a member if the spouse owned a business during the member’s previous duty assignment and the costs result from a movement in connection with the member’s change in duty location.

Application Process

Complete eligibility information and application procedures can be found in MPM 1754-040.  

Service Members Civilian Relief Act (SMCRA) 

The 2023 SMCRA requires all States to recognize the professional licenses (except legal practice) of spouses who relocate to another State on military orders.  As this law is new, each State may have different procedures or requirements. 

Effective Dates
Authorization for reimbursement associated with PCS orders issued between 12 December 2017 and 30 June 2019 expired 30 June 2021.  Requests for reimbursement associated with PCS orders issued after 30 June 2019 must be submitted no later than 24 months after issued date of PCS orders or before 31 December 2029, whichever is earlier.

MILPERSMAN 1754-040 Military Spouse Licensure Reimbursement/Business Costs Reimbursement (CH-82, 6Mar23) ***NEW***
NAVADMIN 104/23 Navy Spouse Employment Update Fact Sheet (4May23) ***NEW***
NAVADMIN 134/19 Navy Spouse Licensure Reimbursement (24Jun19)

DOJ CRD Portability of Professional Licenses and Certificates for Service members and their Spouses ***NEW***

Submission Tools

How to Submit a Claim for Spouse Licensure Reimbursement (18May21)
Template for Spouse Licensure Reimbursement Request Memo (18May21) - Must be filled out electronically.    .doc  or  .pdf 
Optional Form (OF) 1164 Claim for Reimbursement for Expenditures on Official Business (11/2017)
FAQs - NDAA Authorized Spouse Reimbursement Costs (Jan 23)

Other Resources

CNIC FFSP - Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP)
DOJ PR - Reinforcement Protections to States ***NEW***

Military One Source - Education and Employment for Spouses
My Military One Source App



  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | DoD SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
Privacy Program | Veteran Crisis Line | VA Vet Center | FVAP