An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.



Resignations are processed by PERS-834F (901-874-2084).  You should also submit a copy of your resignation request to your detailer for entry into your file.

You will submit an Unqualified Resignation from Active Duty (ACDU) as an active component officer who will be awarded an Honorable Discharge upon separation. 

     MILPERSMAN 1920-190 (Types of Resignations by Officers)

     MILPERSMAN 1920-200 (Officer Resignation Procedures)


All requests must be submitted 9-12 months prior to the desired separation date.  To prevent this from happening, notify your detailer by of the intent to resign at the expiration of your service obligation. This letter must reach NPC no less than 9-12 months prior to the first day of the month of your PRD.

Requests take an average 6-8 weeks for initial processing and an additional 4-6 weeks for routing. If your request requires any type of waiver, you may incur an additional 4 weeks to the processing time. If you have a question regarding obligated service, contact your detailer. In accordance with the Officer Transfer Manual, your detailer has the ultimate responsibility for determining obligated service.

While you may have decided to leave active duty, you should consider continued service on a part time basis in the Surface Reserve Component.  For more information on the Reserves and the benefits of becoming a drilling Reservist, go to the Surface Reserve web page.  If you have less than 8 years active service, you will be required to accept an inactive reserve appointment for the time remaining.

Jobhunting/House-hunting (permissive TDY) is not authorized for resignation/RADs.

All separation orders are written to complete separation processing no later than the last day of the month. You may separate on the day of your choice providing you have command approval and have completed all separation processing. You do not need to contact PERS-834F or your Detailer regarding actual date of separation. Separation orders are issued approximately 3-4 months prior to month of separation in order to allow sufficient time for household goods shipment. You do not need to contact PERS-834F if you are granted separation leave.


Questions about resignation can be submitted to the following:

       NPC Resignation Homepage

  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | DoD SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
Privacy Program | Veteran Crisis Line | VA Vet Center | FVAP