Identification markings will be embroidered in approximately 3/4 inch block letters on approximately 1-1/4 inch wide fabric strips. Names exceedingly long can be embroidered in approximately 1/2 inch letters. Markings will be embroidered in black for E1-O10. Proper locations of fabric strips are as follows:
a. NWU shirt:
(1) Wearer's surname will be sewn centered above and flush with the top of the wearer's right shirt pocket. The use of name accents is authorized.
(2) "U.S. NAVY" will be sewn centered above and flush with the top of the wearer's left shirt pocket.
(3) Rating badges will not be worn or stenciled on the NWU.
(4) Authorized (current assignment) Force or command/unit patch may be worn on the wearer's right breast pocket. The size of the patch will not exceed 3 to 3-1/2 inches in length/width/diameter. When worn, the patch will be sewn centered on the pocket below the pocket flap to allow for easy removal and minimum expense.
(5) Authorized Navy certified subdued matching NWU Type II/III pattern Don’t Tread On Me (DTOM) and Reverse U.S. Flag (Reverse Flag) patches may be worn on the wearer’s left and left right upper arm pocket flap respectively. The optional wear of an embroidered command/unit shoulder patch is authorized for daily wear in nontactical environments. The command/unit logo shoulder patch may be worn on the left shoulder pocket flap of the NWU Type II/III in lieu of the Don’t Tread On Me (DTOM) shoulder patch. Simultaneous wear of the command/unit logo patch and the right breast command logo patch is not authorized. Simultaneous wear of the DTOM shoulder patch and right breast command/unit logo patch is authorized. The command/unit shoulder patch will be two and one-quarter inches by four inches in dimension with subdued matching NWU color embroidered logo and lettering. Command/unit logo shoulder patches are considered optional personal purchase items and are not mandatory for wear or possession. The design of command/unit logo patches must be approved by the unit Commanding Officer.
(6) Fabric pull on/off rank insignia tabs will be worn by E4 and above personnel on the parka/shirt chest pull tab as follows:
(i) Officers, with the exception of vice admirals and admirals, will wear a slip-on version of the regular size embroidered grade insignia. When wearing the eagle insignia, eagle faces to the wearer's right. Vice admirals and admirals will wear a slightly smaller size insignia to accommodate the insignia's proper fit on the tab. The stars will be stacked vertically point to center. Per paragraph 3603.12(f), all Chaplains are authorized to wear their Chaplain Corps Staff insignia above their grade.
(ii) Master, Senior, and Chief Petty Officers will wear a slip-on version of the 1-1/4 inch embroidered cap device on the tab.
(iii) First, Second, and Third Class Petty Officers will wear a slip-on version of the appropriate embroidered petty officer cap device on the tab. The eagle faces to the wearer's right.
(iv) Rating specialty insignias and staff corps devices (with the exception of Navy Chaplains Staff Corps insignia) are not authorized to be worn on the NWU Type II/III.
b. NWU Trousers: The wearer's surname will be sewn centered above and flush with the top of the right rear trouser pocket. The use of name accents is authorized
c. NWU Parka: Fabric pull on/off rank insignia tabs will be worn by E4 and above personnel on the parka's chest pull tab as described in 3603.15.a.(6).