An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.



Frequently Asked Questions

From Deserters
1.       Where can I find the closest place to turn myself in?
Contact NACIC office at 1-877-663-6772 or 1-901-874-2522 and we will assist you in returning to military control.
2.       When will you stop investigating me?
We will stop investigating when the Federal Arrest Warrant is cleared.  For information on how to clear your Federal Arrest Warrant, feel free to contact us.

If you think you are already discharged from the Navy, a certified copy of your DD-214 will need to be mailed to NACIC using the address listed on the top of the page. 

From Commands
1.   How do I declare a deserter?
MILPERSMAN Article 1600-060 outlines the procedures for declaring a service member a deserter.  To submit a DD Form 553 via encrypted email to or via fax at 1-901-874-2061.  A follow-up email is strongly recommended to ensure e-mail or fax was received by NACIC.  You can find a copy of the most current form here DD Form 553.
2.   What does the command do if a Deserter is turning themselves into your command (not
parent command)?
-MILPERSMAN 1600-030 states any military installation or command manned by active duty members may
receive absentees and deserters.  Absentees and deserters should be subsequently transferred to the
nearest installation of their branch of service which has the facilities to process absentees and deserters.
Navy Absentee Collection and Information Center (NACIC) will direct the movement of apprehended Navy
absentee deserters.
-MILPERSMAN 1600-050 outlines proper procedures for members who wish to turn themselves into a
command other than their parent command.  Member will muster with this command until Technical
Arrest Orders (TAO)/ travel arrangements can be made. 
-Reference MILPERSMAN 1600-070.  Completion of DD Form 616 is required once member is returned to military control (parent command, TPU, Recruiting Office, etc.).
**Steps to complete when dealing with a deserter:
a.  Accept the deserter.
b.  Contact deserter’s parent command.
    ***Recruiting offices are not required to contact parent command; NACIC will contact the command once notified by Recruiting office deserter has physically reported to them.
c.  All Technical Arrest Orders are completed and submitted for travel arrangements by NACIC for deserters who require transportation to return to their parent command or local TPU.
d.  Contact NACIC toll free at 1-877-663-6772 or 1-901-874-2522.
e.  Muster deserter (In person or via telephone) until Technical Arrest Orders can be executed or travel arrangements can be made.  Typically, the first day of muster is in person and after it can be via phone call.  Muster policy for deserter is command discretion.
3.      My email certificates do not allow me to send an encrypted email.  How can I send the required documents?
All required documentation can be sent via the DOD SAFE website.  Under "Email Settings", ensure the "Encrypt email message when possible" is not  checked.  This encrypts the email that sends the link and password to collect the file(s).  Because it is sent to a group inbox, the encrypted email cannot be opened.  A follow-up email is strongly recommended.
4.      Where can I find information if a service member is an active deserter?
FOR ANY ISSUES or concerns you can contact our office 24/7 at 1-877-663-6772, 1-901-874-2522, or email at to inquire if a person is on the active Navy desertion list or provide information on an a deserter.
5.      Why doesn’t a deserter immediately reflect on the command’s enlisted manning verification via MyNavy Assignment?
Per MILPERSMAN 1600-060 a deserter will be transferred into the Deserter UIC upon written request and when NACIC is in receipt of the following: 
         a.  Medical and dental records 
b.  UA for > 120 days
c.  A transfer EVAL/FITREP submitted upon member's transfer to BUPERS Deserter Account UIC 41104.
d.  Attached to an overseas shore activity, home-ported overseas, or a deployed unit (absent from homeport > 90 days) and has been UA > 30 days.
Allow 180 days for the transaction to reflect on the command's EDVP.
6.      Who is responsible for declaring a deserter?
The parent command is responsible for declaring a deserter.  If a member is in a PCS status, the gaining command must declare the member a deserter based on the failure to report.  If a member is currently TAD, the parent command of the member is responsible for declaring a member as a deserter.  For more information on determining the parent command in special instances, please refer to MILPERSMAN 1600-120.
7.      What is the time frame that a person must be UA before being declared a deserter?
per MILPERSMAN 1600-010 a person may be declared a deserter if:
a.  The facts and circumstances of the member’s absence, without regard to the length, indicate the member committed the offense of desertion, as defined in Article 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ); 
b.  If the member has been absent without authority for 30 consecutive days; 
c.  Immediately, if member is absent without authority, without regard to length of absence, and has gone to, or shown intention of going to any foreign country, or remains in any foreign country and requests or accepts any type of asylum or residence from that country or its governmental agencies; or
d.  Immediately, if member is absent without authority, without regard to length of absence, and has stated or shown signs of no return (manifest intent).  If you have questions about manifest intent, please contact us.
  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | DoD SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
Privacy Program | Veteran Crisis Line | VA Vet Center | FVAP