Updates to the BUPERSINST 1610.10F (EVALMAN)
Updates to Mid-term / Performance Counseling
Mid-term/Performance Counseling Webinar Training
- This approximately 90-minute training webinar for Supervisors and Sailors consist of four modules listed on the DVIDS links below:
Module 1: Introduction to Performance Counseling - DVIDS
Module 2: Roles & Responsibilities and Conducting Performance Counseling - DVIDS
Module 3: Giving and Receiving Feedback - DVIDS
Module 4: Completing the Military Individual Development Plan - DVIDS
Preparing the Supervisor and Member for the Performance Counseling Session
- You can start to prepare for the performance counseling session by using the “Performance Counseling Preparation for Supervisors and Members” kneeboard card that features five steps to perform before the session even begins. These steps will help both the supervisor and member set up a robust performance counseling session. More information about preparing for the performance counseling session can be found in Module 2 of the Mid-term / Performance Counseling training.
Engaging in Performance Counseling for Supervisors and Members
- You can start engaging in coaching conversations during performance counseling by using the "Engaging in Performance Counseling for Supervisors and Members" kneeboard card that features five open-ended questions for both Supervisors and Members to improve feedback received and the quality of conversations had during performance counseling sessions. More information about engaging in performance counseling session can be found in Module 2 of the Mid-term / Performance Counseling training.
- Giving both positive and constructive feedback properly is an important skill to use during the Performance Counseling session. You can use the "Positive and Constructive Feedback" kneeboard card that features three steps to help emphasize the Member's strengths and identify solutions to areas of weakness. More information about how to give feedback can be found in Module 3 of the Mid-term / Performance Counseling training.
Mid-term Counseling NAVPERS Forms
- Military Individual Development Plan (IDP) (NAVPERS 1610/19)
- The IDP is an optional tool to help drive development during and after performance counseling conversations.
- It will help Sailors set short-and long-term goals while providing a means of documenting and tracking goal setting, progress, and achievement.
- Because the IDP is very direct in identifying strengths and areas of improvement, it can be filled out and briefed in a short amount of time.
- It will also help add structure to the performance counseling session and standardize how it is documented across the fleet.
- As a living document, the IDP should be updated regularly and used in every performance counseling conversation.
- Mid-term Counseling Checklist (NAVPERS 1610/20)
- This tool helps organize your preparation for the upcoming session as well as provide extra structure during the performance counseling conversation.