An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Decorations and Medals (Awards)



On 18May2020, Navy Personnel Command launched the new BUPERS OnLine (BOL) NDAWS application. BOL NDAWS is the authoritative source for Navy personal, Unit, Campaign, and Expeditionary medals data.

The Department of the Navy Military Awards Policy, SECNAVINST 1650.1J, establishes policy and SECNAV-M1 contains procedures concerning awards available for use in recognizing individuals and units of the Naval Service.  The Chief of Naval Operations (DNS-13) is the Office of Primary Responsibility (OPR) within the Navy for implementing this policy.  PERS-312 works hand-in-hand with DNS-13 to maintain the Navy Department Awards Web-Service (NDAWS).  NDAWS is now located on BUPERS Online (BOL) and requires a CAC to access the application.

All active duty and selected reserve personnel have BOL access, therefore they have NDAWS access.  Civilians/Contract personnel who have BOL access also have access to NDAWS.  Civilians/Contractors that require access to NDAWS but do not have a BOL account, will need to submit an approved SAAR-N to the BOL Helpdesk at requesting access.
Check Awards IN NDAWS
To check awards in NDAWS go to BOL's Main Menu and select the "NPC Document Services" link.  Under the NPC Document Services workspace select the NDAWS tab (left side of screen).

PERS-312 will no longer be the primary office for entering personal awards for Navy personnel.  Members are to work with their administrative support offices to have all valid awards entered into BOL NDAWS locally.

If you are attached to a Joint/NATO/USMC (Navy medical professionals) command and do not have the ability to enter awards given by the commands, PERS-312 will assist.  Send the award scanned as a PDF to  Awards that will be processed by PERS-312 will need to be sent from the supporting administrative office.  PERS-312 will not accept award submissions directly from the member.

MILLINGTON, TN  38055-3120

How do I get an approved award certificate into my OMPF? Here are the steps, 1-4.
  • Step 1 - Check to see that the award has been entered into the Navy Department Awards Web Service (NDAWS) by logging onto BOL. Once on BOL, click on Navy Personnel Command Documents Services.  Once this page opens, select “NDAWS” from the left side of the screen.  Click on “Search Awards”.  Here you can search for Personal and Unit awards.  If you click on “Personal Awards Search”, your personal awards that are currently in NDAWS will be displayed.
  • Step 2 - If it is reflecting accurately in BOL NDAWS but not in your OMPF, print your full SSN in the upper right corner of the award and send a copy to PERS-312 (Navy Personnel Command, PERS-312, 5720 Integrity Dr. Millington, TN 38055), or ask your command to mail it. That's it!
  • Step 3 - If it has not been entered into BOL NDAWS, contact your administrative office for assistance. It is their responsibility to update BOL NDAWS with your award in accordance with the NDAWS User’s Guide (Jan 2021).
  • Step 4 - Once an award has been submitted into BOL NDAWS, the application will send copies of the wet-signed certificate and OPNAV 1650/3 to the member’s OMPF.  DO NOT mail these documents to PERS-312.
  • NDAWS Trusted Agents (Admin Offices) and NDAWS Authorities are to enter awards into BOL NDAWS along with the wet-signed certificate and the application will electronically file the OPNAV 1650/3 and wet-signed certificate to the member’s OMPF.
  • BOL NDAWS is the authoritative source for awards. Awards will not be ingested into the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) if they are not reflected in BOL NDAWS.
  • Older awards not reflecting in BOL NDAWS must be entered into NDAWS by the awarding authority's administrative department, or the member's current administrative department after authentication of validity of each award.

  • ESR displays personal awards, unit awards and campaign/service awards.  Campaign/service awards issued prior to 2006 were entered on a paper NAVPERS 1070/604 and should be filed in your OMPF.  For unit awards and campaign/service awards issued after 2006, the award should be displayed in the Honors and Awards Section of your ESR and automatically submitted to your OMPF as a NAVPERS 1070/880, Award Record, when you reenlist or separate.
  • If errors are discovered in your ESR you must contact your servicing Personnel Office for assistance.

If the PSR is missing awards or if the awards listed on the PSR are incorrect, the Data Quality Management Branch (BUPERS-072) can assist in updating those records.  The Data Quality Management branch manages the functionality and data contained within many of the Navy Corporate Data Systems.  Visit their page for information on requesting corrections.

Members on active duty and drilling reservists should receive the original award (medal/ribbon) from their commanding officer.
Replacements:  Navy Personnel Command, PERS-312A will (on a one time basis) replace medals and ribbons when they have been lost or destroyed, through no fault of the member or have become unfit for wear because of age/deterioration.  Replacement under other circumstances is the responsibility of the individual.


Navy veterans to whom a military decoration has been awarded, or the immediate next of kin of a deceased recipient may also receive a replacement set of decorations on a one-time basis without cost if the previously issued medal, ribbon, or other device has been lost, destroyed, or rendered unfit for use without fault or neglect on the part of the recipient.  Miniature decorations are not replaced by the Department of Navy.

Veterans or next-of kin of deceased veterans can obtain and fill out SF 180, Request Pertaining To Military Records or write a letter to request replacement awards.  Each request should be filled out neatly and should include the veteran’s complete name used while in service, rank, service number, social security number, branch of service, dates of service (date entered and date released), and it should be signed by the veteran or the next of kin if the veteran is deceased. If using the SF 180, check the “Other” box in section II, paragraph 1, and enter “replacement awards”.  Mail your request to one of the following addresses:

Veterans separated on or after Jun 1995:
MILLINGTON, TN  38055-3120

Veterans separated before Jun 1995:
ST. LOUIS, MO 63138
  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | Navy SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
NCIS Tips | Privacy Program | Veteran CrisisLine