The Surface Technical Ratings assignments branch supports Navy Personnel Command's mission of putting "the right Sailor in the right place at the right time!" This branch consists of ET, FC, FCA, GM, IC, MN, OS, and STG Detailers. Please note that Accession Sailors coming from Great Lakes are detailed by PERS-4011.
The contact list for the Enlisted Surface Combat Systems Assignments branch is listed here. If you do not receive an e-mail or phone call back within 72 hours please e-mail or call the Branch Head, RAO or LCPO and you will get a prompt response within 24 hours.
PERS 406 BRANCH HEAD: 901-874-4565
PERS 406 RATING ASSIGNMENT OFFICER: 901-874-3769
PERS 406 DLCPO: 901-874-3782
PERS 406 LEADERSHIP E-MAIL DISTRO: PERSemail@example.com
Notes from the STG Detailing Team:
- Take a look at the Sea/Shore Flow to determine if you are set to rotate to sea or shore ( Sea/Shore Flow )
- Verify when you are eligible to negotiate for orders (Negotiating Windows) and check MNA Schedule for various Phases ( MNA Information )
- Consider options for Sea/Shore Special Programs 14-18 months out from PRD to ensure there is enough time to submit package/complete required screening ( Shore Special Programs ) ( Sea Special Programs )
- If you are interested in a Special Program, contact your detailer before starting the process.
Going into a negotiating window (after Precheck)
- Ensure MNA contact information is up to date.
- Update resume with applicable information.
- Inform your detailer of any special circumstances/requests.
- For STG’s rotating to Shore, you can only apply to your paygrade.
- For STG’s rotating to Sea, you can only apply for the paygrade unless your are a STGC. STGCs (E-7) can apply to STGCS (E-8) billets. Paysubs will be be considered on a case by case basis.
- Frocked Sailors apply for billets in the paygrade they will be advanced to.
- You have seven applications that can be submitted, but not all applications have to be used.
* Apply for billets you are interested in filling, but keep in mind that ALL Open Must Fill billets MUST be filled.
- If you are in your window and unable to apply in MNA, contact your CCC or us to submit applications on your behalf.
- If the CCC is not available/unable to make submissions, reach out to your detailer for assistance.
* At a minimum, include Preference #, Command, and Billet Sequence Code (BSC) to ensure the correct application is submitted.
- If curious about a particular billet, reach out on the Active Duty STG Homeport Facebook page to see if anyone has additional information on the command.
- Look over the MILPERSMAN that governs the command (if applicable) you are applying for to ensure all requirements are met.
- We do not pay attention to the color code listed for preference matches, as that is not always accurate. We look at your preference number for the application, so apply for billets you are interested in filling. Not having the NEC, being in a different location, etc. does not disqualify you from being considered.
After applications are submitted
- If there is a billet you are REALLY interested in, reach out to get in contact with someone at the command.
* Command comments are not the end all be all, but being the #1 pick can help.
- Take a look at the MNA schedule above for an idea of when selections will be completed.
- Monitor the status of your applications to determine if selected for a billet.
- If contact information is up to date as mentioned, you will receive an e-mail once selected.
After selections are finished
- Inform your detailer of any special requests/circumstances.
- If selected for a billet, be patient as it takes a bit longer for orders to be released due to things like funding/school availability.
- If not selected for a billet, determine how many negotiation cycles you have remaining.
- We recommend considering a Special Program if location/platform has a major impact on your preferences.
While waiting on orders
- While NAVADMIN 169/20 was cancelled by NAVADMIN 073/21, NAVADMIN 156/18 still authorizes +/- 6 month Estimated Date of Departure (EDD) adjustments to limit gaps at sea. If you are going from sea to shore and your billet does not have a relief identified, your EDD (not PRD) will be adjusted +6 months.
- If you are unsure of when you will be detaching due to pending orders, please follow up with Detailers and we can provide an update on any EDD shifts.
E7 and Above STG Detailer: STGCM Gregory Nordin / firstname.lastname@example.org
E6 and Below STG Detailer: STGC Brock Warren / email@example.com