An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


1.  I received a General Under Honorable Conditions Discharge, am I eligible for MGIB Program benefits or a refund of the money I paid in?

Title 38, United States Code, Chapter 30 the law governing the MGIB Program, requires members to receive an Honorable Discharge (or have an honorable period of serivice) in order to be eligible for educational benefits. This does not include a General Discharge (Under Honorable Conditions).    By law, members are not entitled to a refund of contributions reduced from their pay.

Note: There may be a chance to upgrade a General Under Honorable Conditions Discharge depending on the circumstances. You must apply to the Naval Discharge Review Board for approval.

2.  I am a Vietnam Era GI Bill eligible Veteran. Can I convert my GI Bill converted to the Montgomery GI Bill?

Title 38, United States Code, Chapter 34, the Vietnam Era GI Bill (VEGIB), states members who entered active duty after 31 January 1955, but prior to 31 December 1976, were eligible for VEGIB benefits after serving more than 180 days of continuous active service.  Opportunity to use VEGIB benefits was terminated on 31 December 1989, and no further requests for educational assistance were honored after that date.  Title 38, United States Code, Chapter 30, the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) Program, states VEGIB eligible members who had remaining entitlement to VEGIB benefits on 31 December 1989, and met one of the following two requirements were automatically converted to the MGIB Program:  (1) on active duty anytime between 19 October 1984 and 1 July 1985 and served continuously from that date through 30 June 1988, or through 30 June 1987 followed by four years in the Selected Reserves; or (2) not on active duty on 19 October 1984 and served three continuous years of active duty after 1 July 1985.  Exceptions to the continuous active duty requirement are only for service connected disability; medical condition which preexisted such service on active duty; hardship; physical or mental condition not characterized as a disability; convenience of the government with less than 30 months on continuous active duty; or involuntarily separated for reduction in force.  Those who are eligible for the automatic conversion must document their eligibility by providing the Department of Veterans Affairs copies of all DD Forms 214, reenlistment contracts or statements of service.

3.  I have separated from the service. Where can I get a copy of my DD-214?

You will need to contact the St. Louis National Personnel Records Center. 


4.  When I initially signed the DD Form 2366, I elected to disenroll from the program due to miscounseling. Now that I am aware of how the program can be used, I want to change my election. Is that possible?

Eligibility for educational benefits is determined by the initial entry onto active duty. At that time, servicemembers are counseled and either enroll or disenroll from the MGIB Program. This is documented on the DD Form 2366. If you did not sign this form or it is filled out incorrectly, there may be a chance for enrollment. This can be verified by your servicing PSD or by calling this office. However, if you have a DD Form 2366 in your record and it is filled out correctly that decision is irrevocable. If you sign up and do not want it, there are no refunds. Benefits must be used for school within 10 years after your discharge from active duty. If you feel you were miscounseled and can provide proof in the form of a letter from the briefing official where the alleged miscounseling occurred then you must petition the Board for Corrections of Naval Records (BCNR) stating you were miscounseled and have proof to substantiate your claim. If the Board concurs, then there may be a chance to reverse your initial election.

Note: Members may petition BCNR for correction of an error or the removal of an injustice from their records. Petitions must be submitted on DD Form 149, Application For Correction of Military Record, under the provisions of Title 10, U.S.C. Section 1552. This form may be obtained from the BCNR's website. Upon presentation of satisfactory evidence by the member concerned, BCNR may recommend to the Secretary of the Navy that the record be changed.


  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | DoD SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
Privacy Program | Veteran Crisis Line | VA Vet Center | FVAP