An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.



General FAQs

1.) What is the Navy Reserve?

The Navy Reserve provides support to the Active Component (AC). Each Navy Reserve service member who is not currently on Active Duty (AD) is placed in one of three categories:  Ready Reserve, Standby Reserve (active S1 or inactive S2), or Retired.  For more information, refer to BUPERINST 1001.39 Series, Administrative Procedures for Navy Reserve Personnel. 

2.) What are the definitions of some commonly used Reserve acronyms?

a.)  SELRES – Selected Reserve. This component of the Ready Reserve is comprised of members who receive pay and earn retirement points for monthly drills and annual training.
b.)  IRR – Individual Ready Reserve. IRR members are not in a drilling status, but may be involuntarily recalled and are eligible to earn retirement points. Officers are reviewed for promotion and may promote. However, enlisted members cannot take the advancement exam in the IRR and therefore cannot advance.
c.)   IDT - Inactive duty training. IDT periods (drills) are conducted to provide operational support and to enhance members' readiness for mobilization. IDT periods are performed either with or without pay. One IDT period is four hours for SELRES members and three hours for VTU members and is worth one retirement point. SELRES members receive one day of basic pay for each IDT (4-hour period). SELRES members are required to perform 48 drills per fiscal year.
d.)  AT - Annual training. These are limited periods of active duty. SELRES members are required to perform 12-14 days of AT per fiscal year.
e.)  Authorized absence (AA) – is an excused absence granted in lieu of performing IDT drills. Generally, up to six months’ worth of AAs can be granted within a fiscal year.
f.)   Anniversary year – is the year used for the crediting of qualifying years for non-regular retirement. The date used to determine the start of an anniversary year is established by the date the member entered into active service or into active status in a Reserve component, whichever is earlier. Example: A member shipped to boot camp (or officer  commissioned) on May 10, 2005 will have an anniversary date of May 10th in which all points for a qualifying year must be met, i.e., must have earned 50 points toward retirement).

3.) What are the responsibilities of a drilling Reservist?

The responsibilities of a SELRES member are to complete a minimum of 48 drills (four 4-hour drills per month, typically done one weekend per month) and 12-14 days of AT each fiscal year.

4.) What are the benefits of affiliating into the SELRES?

The benefits available to members in the SELRES are substantial. Please review the RPAC benefits page for more information.

5.) How much is Reserve pay?

Please refer to the most recent military pay chart. Pay is based on several factors such as pay grade, time in service, and number of drills performed.
Example: An O-3 with six years of service can expect to earn $180.51/drill period or $11,191.62/year in drill pay for 48 drills [one drill period = four hours; calculations are based on four drill periods per  month (morning and afternoon each day)] and 14 days of AT (each count as one day of AD). These figures do not include BAH or any other allowances/entitlements.

6.) How much is a Reserve retirement?

In order to earn a Reserve retirement, members need to have 20 qualifying years of service. What is a qualifying year? Members must earn a minimum of 50 points per anniversary year. The Navy calculates a Reserve retirement paycheck based on how many points are earned throughout a member’s Navy career. For more information, please visit the Reserve retirement page.
Active status members are automatically granted 15 participation points per anniversary year. IDTs counts for one point per drill period (i.e., four hours). ATs count as one point per day (similar to AD). If a member completes 48 drills (24 days) and 14 AT days each anniversary year, plus receives 15 participation points, it will result in 77 points earned towards retirement.

Note: A member must earn a minimum of 50 points during an anniversary year for a qualifying year towards retirement. AT periods are scheduled per fiscal year, which does not always coincide with an anniversary year. It is possible to accomplish two AT periods within one anniversary year (e.g., a member with an anniversary date of May 10th who performs an AT in June and a second one the following April will cross two different fiscal years, but points will count in the same anniversary year. Please reference BUPERSINST 1001.39 (series) for more information.

7.) Where are drills and annual training (AT) performed?

Drills are typically performed at the NRC that the member has chosen. AT will be determined by your Reserve Unit. 

8.) When should a member first report for drill? 

Members must NOT report to their NRC until receiving a Welcome Aboard email from RPAC containing their orders.  The email will contain instructions on how the member can arrange their first drill period(s) or arrange for AAs with their gaining command.

9.) Is there an involuntary mobilization deferment available?

Yes! Per NAVADMIN 145/19, individuals who affiliate with the Navy Reserve within six months (183 days) or between seven and 12 months (184-365 days) of release from AD, qualify for two- and one-year deferments, respectively, from involuntary mobilization.

10.) I am a 2X FOS Active Duty Officer, is there any information available regarding my transition? 

For 2XFOS active duty officers, the detailer action checklist is available, providing several pieces of information regarding your upcoming transition. Click here Detailer Action Checklist for document.

11.) Can a member collect Involuntary Separation Pay (ISP) in conjunction with the Reserve affiliation bonus?

Yes. ISP and the Reserve affiliation bonus are two separate payments that can be taken together. However, the affiliation bonus is only available to members electing to serve in the SELRES. Please contact your Transition Assistant for further information.  

12.) How does accepting ISP affect a member’s Reserve retirement?

The lump sum ISP accepted (the amount received after taxes) must be repaid to the Navy from a member’s Reserve retirement pay. A predetermined amount will be deducted from each paycheck until the full amount of ISP is repaid. If a member does not draw a Reserve retirement, then the ISP will not need to be repaid. Paragraph 12.a of SECNAVINST 1900.7G provides an example of the recoupment process.
Example: A member separated with 15 years of AD service and receives $57,845 in separation pay. If this member subsequently retires with 20 years of service (15 AD, 5 SELRES), the recoupment of separation pay is calculated as follows:
15/20 = .75 (ISP factor based on years of service)
$1,723 (monthly gross retirement pay)
x.75 (ISP factor based on years of service)
$1,292 (monthly recoupment rate)


The TSC/PSD that is processing your DD214 does this calculation and the RPAC has no control or oversight to amount or when payment will be processed.

13.) What options exist for a member who is eligible for ISP, but does not  want to join the SELRES?

Members who do not want to transition to the SELRES may transition to the IRR to meet the obligated service requirements in order to receive ISP. The IRR obligation must be for at least three years. Please contact the IRR Counselor at: 1-800-535-2699 or visit the following website at:  Involuntary Separaton Pay for more information.

14.) Can drill pay and VA Disability compensation be collected concurrently?

Yes! VA disability compensation is paid monthly but it is broken down by a daily amount, (e.g., $1,500/month = $50/day). VA policy states that a member cannot receive both military pay and disability pay for the same day.
Example: YN1 Sailor drilled two days in the month of November, earning ~$860.00. He can still receive 28 days of disability pay (vice 30 days), but he must decide whether he would prefer to receive either Reserve pay or disability pay for those two drill days. Most members will choose to receive their Reserve pay since it is typically higher. Hence, YN1 Sailor would receive drill pay of ~$860 for his two drill days and $1,400 ($1500 minus $100 in this example) in disability pay for the other 28 days (i.e., a total of $2360 for the month). Refer to VA Form 21-8951-2 for more details.

15.) What is TAMP and how do I qualify for it?

TAMP is the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) which provides 180 days of premium-free transitional health care benefits after regular TRICARE benefits end. Members must affiliate with the SELRES the very next day after separation with no break in participation. Members will be automatically enrolled in TRICARE Standard (however TRICARE Prime can be requested). During transition from AD to SELRES, members will drop out of DEERS for a short period of time and will appear to have no affiliation with the Navy until they are gained back as a Reservist and should therefore postpone any routine appointments until notified by RPAC that they have been re-gained into the SELRES. Refer to for more details.

Officer-specific FAQs

1.) How does one obtain a Reserve commission (Reserve Oath of Office) in order to transition to the Navy Reserve?

In order to receive a Reserve Oath of Office, members must first be scroll-approved by the Secretary of Defense (SECDEF). Scrolls are lists consisting of name, rank, and SSN, which are sent to SECDEF requesting appointment approval. SECDEF approval generally takes 9-16 weeks. Most officers leaving AD are screened for the scroll, regardless of whether they indicated an interest in the Navy Reserve in their resignation package. The reason for this is that many officers change their mind and later decide to join the Reserve but end up with a break in service because of the lengthy scroll process, thus losing various benefits. Unless an officer has MSO remaining, there is no obligation to sign a Reserve Oath of Office when offered.
RPAC will make every effort to deliver the Reserve Oath of Office to a member before their separation date to prevent a break in service and subsequent loss of benefits. Members may request a Reserve Oath of Office up to three years after their separation date, in accordance with MILPERSMAN 1131-040.

3.)  Is there a difference between a Selected Reserve (SELRES) Oath of Office and an Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Oath of Office?

No. Only one Reserve Oath of Office is offered to a member that can be used to affiliate to either the SELRES or IRR.

4.) What happens after completion of the 8-year MSO in the Navy Reserve?

A member’s Reserve commission will remain in place until a resignation request is made to Pers-91 by the member or the member is discharged.

5.) Is a Reserve commission (Oath of Office) available after a member leaves active duty?

It depends on the officer’s designator and the needs of the Navy Reserve. Officers with a skill not needed in the Navy Reserve will likely not be offered a Reserve Oath of Office at a later date. If an officer separates from AD with no MSO remaining and does not affiliate with the Navy Reserve, but later decides to affiliate, must do so via a Navy recruiter. See MILPERSMAN 1131-040.

6.) Is it possible to redesignate in the Navy Reserve?

Yes. However, it is subject to the needs of the Navy. Reference BUPERSINST 1001.39F for more information.

7.) Why does TSC require a Reserve Oath of Office to release the DD-214 and process Involuntary Separation Pay (ISP)?

TSC is responsible for ensuring members complete all required documentation, to include the execution of the Reserve Oath, in order to receive ISP.
ISP is administered IAW MILPERSMAN 1920-050. Officers must have executed a Reserve Oath of Office in order to obligate 3 years of service in the Ready Reserve. If a Reserve Oath will not be issued, then a letter from PERS-97 will be delivered in lieu of an oath. This does not apply to officers being administratively separated from the Navy. Officers must also sign a NAVPERS 1070/613 to process ISP.

8.) If a member is an O-4 select, will the promotion be honored in the Navy Reserve?

Yes.  Members entering the Navy Reserve from AD will still promote however, they must be listed on the RASL for their promotion to occur.  This may take up to 6-9 months as long as they do not experience a break in service.

9.) If a member is in zone for promotion to O-4, how will the member’s transition to the Navy Reserve affect the promotion opportunity?

Members who transition to the Reserves will be eligible for promotion opportunity after being placed on the RASL.  After which, the release of the selection zone message will determine eligibility, based on precedence number.

10.) I am a reservist on definite recall orders and was told that the RPAC would transition me back to drilling status. Is this still the case?

No, your separation orders from active duty should reflect the following:

Enlisted-specific FAQs

1.) How does a Sailor join the Selected Reserve (SELRES) directly from Active Duty (AD)?

Please reference MILPERSMAN 1306-1501 for more information.

2.) How long will it take to be gained in NSIPS?

Sailors will be gained into NSIPS a day after their Active Duty separation, so long that they have been lost from Active Duty in NSIPS. 

3.) When does the SELRES C-Way Reenlistment quota expire?

30 days after a Sailor’s separation date if no contact has been established with the assigned TA. 

4.) Should a Sailor reenlist in the Navy Reserve prior to separating if they are going on terminal leave?

Yes. Doing so will allow a smooth transition to the Reserve and minimize processing time after separating from AD. Sailors should have their CCC contact the RPAC at for further guidance.

8.) If a Sailor is frocked and not advanced (getting paid) until AFTER release from AD, will they keep their frocked pay grade in the Navy Reserve?

Sailors will be gained in the Navy Reserve based on the pay grade listed on their DD-214.  Once affiliated in the Reserve, Sailors may request a rate determination based on the most recent final multiple in the Reserve for their rating and pay grade to determine whether they will be able to regain the next pay grade in the Navy Reserve.  Sailors should contact their NRC ESO for further information.  The governing instruction for rate determination can be found in BUPERSINST 1430.1 (series)
  Veterans Crisis Line - Dial 988  Safe Helpline  NCIS Tips  Sexual Assault Prevention & Response  NFAAS

Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?
Call MyNavy Career Center: 833.330.MNCC,
or 901.874.MNCC (DSN 882.6622)

Email MNCC, MNCC Chat 
Comments or Suggestions about this website?
Email the Webmaster

5720 Integrity Drive
Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
Millington, TN 38055-0000

Search This Site
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website

Site Map | FOIA | U.S. Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting
No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy
Open Government | Plain Writing Act
Veterans Safe Helpline | DoD SAPR | NETC 
Accessibility/Section 508 | Information Quality
Privacy Program | Veteran Crisis Line | VA Vet Center | FVAP